Lewisham Council is running a consultation on its Allocation Policy.
The consultation is available here: https://consultation.lewisham.gov.uk/strategic-housing-and-regulatory-services/https-lewisham-gov-uk-media-lewisham-housingal/ . We would like to encourage responses from individuals and organisations who may be affected or who represent those who may be affected and very much welcome your assistance with spreading the word amongst the Lewisham residents you work with. Thank you.
We are planning focus groups to discuss the Allocations Policy consultation. We would like to ensure everyone has the opportunity to have their opinions heard. Due to the current Lockdown, each focus group will take place online. Further information is provided below.
All local authorities in England must have an Allocation Scheme to decide:
- who gets priority for social housing
- who is eligible
- how the policy is applied
Focus groups will discuss the main changes proposed by the Allocations Policy consultation, set out below. Each focus group will be carried out online, due to the current Coronavirus Pandemic.
Your feedback will be used to shape the Allocation Scheme. This will help us to make sure that it works effectively and that it is fair and meets housing need across the borough.
Summary of changes
Further detail on the proposed changes will be provided throughout the consultation, but the six, main proposed changes are as below:
- We will change the banding structure. This will help us to reallocate priority for different rehousing reasons, ensuring that the Allocation Scheme is responsive to housing needs within the borough.
- We will modify the “overcrowded” rehousing reason to ensure that those experiencing the most severe overcrowding are prioritised.
- We will create a new “priority homeless with additional need” rehousing reason to ensure that we are able to respond to very specific cases of homelessness across the borough.
- We will increase the number of properties an applicant can bid for each week.
- Where applicable, we will reduce the “Three Offer” rule for refusing a property to a “Two Offer” rule.
- We will ring-fence up to 20% of properties on the register. This will help us to make best use of the available social housing with the resources that we already have.
Focus groups – taking part
We have scheduled three sessions for the following dates:
- Thursday 25th February, 9am-12pm
- Wednesday 3rd March, 6pm-9pm
- Thursday 4th March, 9am-12pm
If you are interested in taking part please email firstname.lastname@example.org :
- Your name
- Your email address
- Your first language
- Whether you are comfortable speaking in English
- Whether you live in the borough
- Your preferred date for the focus group
If you prefer, you can submit your response online at https://consultation.lewisham.gov.uk/strategic-housing-and-regulatory-services/https-lewisham-gov-uk-media-lewisham-housingal/ . The consultation closes on 14th March 2021. If you have any questions or do not understand something, please contact us email@example.com .